Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fennel Week

Apparently I am now on a fennel kick.

I had also been craving roasted broccoli and quinoa, so I made this 101 Cookbooks recipe.

Double Broccoli Quinoa from 101 Cookbooks:
IMG_1431

You cook broccoli and then puree half of it into a pesto, and then toss it with quinoa and the rest of the broccoli. I added some fennel and roasted the broccoli and fennel instead of steaming it as the recipe calls for. I wish I had had some ripe enough avocado to throw on top with the feta and almonds because the think the creaminess of the avocado would be a nice addition, but all of mine were rock hard.

IMG_1430

Now I also want to try this recipe, Spicy Roasted Broccolini Quinoa Salad, from Gaby Dalkins via Design Sponge.

I also fell back on an old favorite this week. While I don't always enjoy smooth soups, this one is just so good. I eat it both plain and with some avocado thrown on top.

Carrot-Fennel Soup from Orangette:
IMG_1451

The flavors are really lovely, and the splash of orange juice added at the end really brightens the whole soup. I didn't have any creme fraiche and so went without this time, but it is a nice addition if you have some on hand. I had some fresh thyme in the fridge, so I threw that in when I added the broth, and then just fished out the stems before pureeing. The whole recipe is pretty quick and easy, especially if you have an immersion blender.

Pre-blending:
IMG_1447

All photos mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...