Friday, January 18, 2013

Green Mexico Smoothie

I'm adding my two cents to the veritable flood of green smoothie information on various blogs.  This one is based on a smoothie my sister had every day while on vacation in Sayulitas, Mexico, except we've omitted the fresh cactus, which isn't as easily sourced here in Portland, Oregon.



I'm not very good at remembering to eat breakfast in the morning, as anything that adds to my morning routine (ie would make me wake up earlier) usually gets dropped in favor of sleep.  Sometimes I manage some peanut butter toast or yogurt and granola, but only if I have the ingredients at work, so that I can assemble it once I get in to the office.  However, smoothie ingredients can be thrown in the blender the night before and only require a couple of minutes in the morning to mix and dump in a mason jar to be carried to work.  So as part of our New Year's attempt at healthier eating, my sister and I have been making green smoothies most mornings.  In the middle of this process, we've also upgraded to a Vitamix, which has improved the consistency notably (particularly those celery strings visible below), although is not necessary.  I'm excited to try some other smoothie recipes out there, particularly this one from The Muffin Myth, but feel free to share your favorite smoothie recipes.



As with all smoothie recipes, the amounts of each ingredient are negotiable and come down to personal preference/what you have in your fridge, so feel free to edit/substitute to your heart's delight.

Green Mexico Smoothie
(serves 2)

2-3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
handful (~1/4 cup) of parsley, chopped
2-3 cups of spinach
1 cup canned pineapple, plus some of the canning liquid
1/2 cup silken tofu, diced
1/2 cup water (or more for desired consistency)

Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until smoothie reaches desired consistency, adding more water or other liquid as needed to get blender going.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...