Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Smitten Carrots!

I was craving carrots the other day, so I went ahead and bought a 10 pound bag of carrots at Costco. Needless to say, I've been trying to figure out how to work my way through them ever since. Luckily Smitten Kitchen has very handy recipe tags, including one for carrots.

After not cooking much over the weekend, I went on a cooking marathon on Monday night, just in time to stock up the fridge for my darling roommate's return from two weeks in New Zealand.

For dinner that night I made the Roasted Carrot & Avocado Salad from Smitten Kitchen:
IMG_1283

However, I made it with these Miso Roasted Carrots that my sister makes all the time. I didn't have any red miso though, so I just used the white miso I usually have on hand (which you can find at most grocery stores, or certainly any Asian grocery store). I also served it over a bed of spinach to make it into a whole meal.

To stock up the fridge, I made some Carrot-Ginger Dressing, from Smitten Kitchen:
IMG_1289

Have you ever had it on those sweet little salads that you can sometimes get at sushi restaurants? I'd been meaning to try to make an approximation, when a little google research showed someone else had already tackled the project. I plan to throw it over spinach and avocado later this week for quick lunches or dinners. I'm not sure about the red onion though. I think I used too big of a shallot in the dressing, so it has quite a kick, and in my opinion, enough onion flavor.

Edited to add: Sorry iPhone picture of said salad. I did not add red onion, and I was glad for it. The dressing was kicky enough on its own and quite tasty with the spinach and avocado.


I also made some Carrot Soup with Miso & Sesame, from Smitten Kitchen:IMG_1294

I had it for lunch yesterday, with some more avocado added on top after it had been heated, and it was delicious. I also didn't puree the soup all the way. I don't know what it is, but I never feel full after eating totally smooth soups. I feel like I need to chew something for it a be a real meal. So I just use an immersion blender and stop short of totally pulverizing all the solids.

All photos mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...