Monday, September 17, 2012

Kohlrabi Salad

I went grocery shopping at the wonderful Asian market near my house in SE Portland (FuBonn) to get the necessary ingredients to make salad rolls for a Labor Day picnic (and sadly forgot to take pictures) and came home with a bunch of great produce, including kohlrabi.

So I did my favorite thing(s) with it, threw it in a peanut noodle salad (post to come) and made the Orangette Asian flavored Kohlrabi Salad.  It is delicious and crunchy and keeps well.  I didn't have any pea shoots, but I did have some leftover snow peas, so I sliced them on a diagonal to mimic the julienned kohlrabi and carrots and threw them in.

We usually have Sunday dinner each week at my parents house, but the weekend before last they had two parties to attend on Sunday and so my sister hosted  my two brothers and me.  We ate kale chips, (boys response, "Hey, these are actually good") roasted chicken and root vegetables, and the kohlrabi salad.  Who knew we could get our brothers to eat kohlrabi?



Kohlrabi Salad, from Orangette:

2 medium kohlrabi bulbs
1 large carrot, peeled
1 tsp. fennel seed
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 cups snow peas (optional)

Trim any stems or leaves from the kohlrabi bulbs.  Using a sharp knife, peel/cut away the tough outer skin.  Then julienne the kohlrabi, using either a mandolin or said sharp knife.  Julienne the carrot and slice the snow peas.

In a small dry skillet, toast the fennel seeds over medium heat until they begin to brown slightly and smell toasty.  Transfer them to a mortar and pestle (or spice grinder if you have one), and grind them into a coarse powder.  (This is a good job for muscled younger brothers - if you have one, or two.)

In a small bowl or the bottom of your salad bowl, combine the fennel seeds, vinegar, salt, and pepper.  Stir in the olive and sesame oil with a fork.  Either pour over vegetables or add vegetables to salad bowl, and toss to coat.  Taste for seasoning (salt, pepper, vinegar, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...