Friday, September 28, 2012

End of Summer Tomato Salad

Portland tends to get late summers, where they don't really start until after the 4th of July, but then they last through September.  In a last gasp of summer, I made one of my last tomato bread salads and drank a grapefruit Stiegl Radler the other day, and it was perfect.



This one had some homemade croutons, blanched green beans, hard boiled egg for protein, fresh corn, and of course tomatoes from the back yard.  For the method, as it is, and vinaigrette recipe, see here, although these pictures are prettier.  This is highly adaptable though, so you can always just throw together whatever you have.



A word or two on the Stiegl Radler.  I got it at my lovely local wine shop, although I believe I cleared them out of the last of their stock.  It's pretty well a summer drink anyway though, so I highly recommend it for next summer.  It's a shandy, so part beer part juice (in this case grapefruit, but I believe lemonade is the most traditional).  Mostly it is delicious.  It popped up in the Portland Bottle Shop's weekly newsletter and then in the July Bon Appetit as well, so I knew I had to try it.  Grab a bottle if you can still find it around, or it's always something to look forward to for next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...