Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Travels: Turkey

I went to Turkey in early November with my best friend from grade school (and frequent travel partner-in-crime) to visit one of our friends who has been living in Istanbul for about a year and a half. I could only make it over for about a week, but we had a really great time. We had one major sight-seeing day, hitting the Grand Bazaar, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace & Harem, Spice Market, and Istiklal Caddesi.

Laura in front of Hagia Sofia
{In front of the Hagia Sofia}

Spice Market
{Spice Market Teas}

Spice Market
{Spice Market Spices}

Of course, I was most interested in the food. We ate so well while we were there. One of my favorite parts was the availability of pomegranate. On almost every street corner you could buy a cup of fresh-squeezed pomegranate juice (or orange or grapefruit or any combination thereof) for only a few dollars.

There are also tons of baked potato street carts all over, called Kumpir, that you can get with tons of toppings. I think we chose just about everything to be put on our Kumpir.

oranges and poms
{Pomegranates, Oranges, & Apples}


Kumpir
{Kumpir, aka Baked Potato, with all the fixings}

All too soon my trip came to an end, and I jumped back on a plane to head home.

Plane tip home
{Flight Home}

I took all photos, save the first one, taken by my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...