Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Winter Vegetables

I've been craving warm winter vegetables in the cold weather, and after not cooking much in the last couple of weeks, I finally buckled down and made a couple big dishes to eat on this week.

This savoy cabbage gratin is so so good. While it may not be much to look at, I always get so many compliments. I've made it with a bunch of different kinds of cheese too, so don't worry too much if you can't find a triple-cream cheese.

Savoy Cabbage Gratin, from Orangette (originally from Molly Stevens, All About Braising):


This was the first time that I made these roasted root vegetables, but I love the flexibility in the recipe to use whatever you have rolling around in your pantry or fridge. I didn't happen to have any beets on hand, so mine weren't quite as colorful, but I used a delicata squash and some sweet potatoes, in addition to the carrots, parsnips, and celery root, to add some color back in.

Roasted Root Vegetables, from Tea & Cookies:

My mom's family always gets together on Christmas eve to celebrate. Since she's one of six, and there are now 15 grandchildren, it's quite a crew. To make it less burdensome on whoever is hosting, we all bring a dish, and this year I was tasked with bringing creamed corn. While I had to make it from frozen corn (since it currently isn't in season) and triple the recipe to make enough for the whole family, it turned out really well. (I also added some butter, with the olive oil in the first step.)

Creamed Corn, from Design Sponge (originally from Harold Dieterle):

Images from 1, 2, 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...